Buddha's Light Shines Through the Universe
Author: Pure Land School Editorial Department
Translator: The Translation Division of the Pure Land School Editorial Department
Publication Date: 2016-08-08PDF
The articles collected in this volume are stories about the paths travelled by Buddhist seekers outside China. Some of their experiences are surprisingly similar. They confirm the aptness of the question, " Why isn't everyone following the path of Amitabha-recitation?" for sentient beings in our Age of Dharma Decline.
For example, Householders Jingxing and Jingfa are serious seekers of a spiritual path. They both followed other creeds, initially. After becoming Buddhists, they first practiced the Path of Sages, such as Chan or other traditions. Then they turned to Pure Land Buddhism, but through the Jodo Shinshu or Jodo Shu of Japan. Finally, through the discourses of Master Huijing, they accepted Master Shandao's Pure Land teachings and obtained thoroughgoing peace of mind and joy in the Dharma.
Their experiences give us many insights. Among them:
- The Path of Sages is difficult and ineffective.
- The Jodo Shinshu tradition places great emphasis on faith, thereby confusing many practitioners and tripping them over. Shinshu is not the "Easy Path" that it claims to be. It has departed from the essence of easiness.
- The teachings of Master Honen's Jodo Shu are pleasing to many. But in modern times, they have become mired in in ritual, politics and functionality, resulting in a lack of vitality.
- The traditional Chinese Pure Land stream stresses precept-observance and the ability to achieve recitation-samadhi (perfect concentration). Because of its difficulty to ordinary practitioners, it is like a road that leads nowhere.
- Master Huijing clearly expounds Master Shandao's Pure Land teachings and highlights Amitabha Buddha's unconditional deliverance, which is perfect and all-embracing. Tt exceeds everyone's expectations. That's why these teachings are flourishing.
Faith in, and acceptance of, Amitabha’s deliverance
Single-minded recitation of Amitabha’s name
Aspiration to rebirth in Amitabha’s Pure Land
Comprehensive deliverance of all sentient beings